by Jim Bohen
10 Poems You Won’t Survive . . .
- the chute won’t open.
- the oxygen is running out; it’s outer
space, no rescue ship.
- you’re on the list from Robespierre.
- a new gestapo’s cornered you;
it’s only a matter of time.
- your army lost to Genghis Khan.
- the bounty hunter “Never-Alive”
is on your trail — his trigger finger
itches; you’re getting very pale.
- you’re Julius Caesar, Ides of March.
- lifeboats gone, ocean’s cold,
Titanic’s cracked and going down.
- your name’s Macbeth;
the wood to Dunsinane has come.
- the cancer has metastasized,
containing it is done.
. . . and 10 You Just Might
a lightning strike, a head-on-crash,
a mass shooting, the London Blitz.
a Nazi concentration camp,
a nasty fall, Moby Dick.
a terror attack, barrel bombs
dropped on your town, Mrs. Peacock
in the hall with the candlestick.