Examples of Unclear Writing … Letters from Applicants
for Public Assistance
Reported by Kallistos
1. I am sending my marriage certificate and six children. I have sevn but, one died which was baptized on a half sheet of paper.
2. I am writing the Welfare Dept. to say my baby was born two years old, when do I get my money.
3. Mrs. Jones has not had any clothes for a year and has been visited regularly by the clergy.
4. I cannot get sick pay. I have six children. Can you tell me why?
5. I am glad to report that my husband who is missing, is dead.
6. This is my eighth child. What are you going to do about it?
7. Please find for certain if my husband is dead – the man I am now living with can’t eat or do anything till he knows.
8. I am very much annoyed you have branded my son as illiterate. This is a dirty lie as I was married a week before he was born.
9. I am forwarding my marriage certificate and three children. One of which is a mistake as you can see.
10. My husband got his project cut off two weeks ago and I haven’t had any relief since.
11. Unless I get my husbands money pretty soon, I will be forced to lead an immortal life.
12. You have changed my little boy to a little girl. Will this make any difference?
13. I have no children as yet, so my husband is a truck driver and works day and night.
14. In accordance with your instructions I have given birth to twins in the enclosed envelope.
15. I want money as quick as I can get it. I have been in bed with the doctor for two weeks and he doesn’t do me any good. If things don’t improve I will have to send for another doctor.